Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fishbone Analysis

The Causal Analysis or Root Cause Analysis is also known as fishbone analysis. Mainly because this diagrammatic technique results into a structure very similar to a fish-bone. It basically drills down a problem category to reach its root cause.

I had many times used Mind-Mapping techniques using Freemind which employs similar breaking down of bigger chunk. however the in my experience the mind maps are more dense while the fishbone diagrams tend to go very deep having multiple levels. The best mindmap I have used has a depth of 5 levels while the very first fishbone I was trying to prepare had 6 levels and very soon it reach the level of 9. My Favorite tool Freemind depicts the drilled down nodes only in a mind map format which is not suitable for fishbones. Google redirected me to XMind, another mindmaping tool which also had capability to render the same information in a fishbone style. A lot of time saved for a small team here preparing the fishbone diagrams by hand :)

No comments:

Post a Comment