Tuesday, May 31, 2011

5 Fully Functional Opensource Applications You Didnt Know Exists

I am making a bold assumption in making a strong statement that the applications which were noticed by me are not picked up by any one of my readers independently. I would love to be proven wrong in making that assumption. so please drop in a comment if you happen to know any of these software already.

All of the applications below are best of the breed even when we consider the proprietary software. They serve a very niche area and hence do not enjoy popularity of other well known Open source apps like Firefox or VLC
  1. JKiwi (A Virtual Makeover and hairstyler application)
    Extremely professional features and UI. My daughter loves this and can spend hours changing her looks.
  2. CuteFarm (Farm / Agriculture management application)
    I stumbled upon this one when I was looking out for ways to manage farms in a better way. The application was just beginning at that time and has come a long way since then. 
  3. Animal Shelter Manager
    Personally I love pets but cannot have one because of the preferences of my family members.  Stumbled upon this gem while searching for information on dog breeds. Supposed to be the best shelter manager software out there.
  4. Storybook
    I fancy myself as an author and have a couple of plots in my mind for a long time. HoweverI could never gather the steam to start writing one. Came across this one and I started writing my first novel using this tool. Soon I found myself entangled into the myriad of features and cross connections and the story itself never took off :). I believe that is more to do with me being n00b rather than the fault of the tool itself.
  5. Sweet Home 3D
    A very nice application for the interior designing where you can create the 2D home layout and place different type of furniture in it. Later you can view the 3D preview of the home from various angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment